Ayurveda has a deep connection with immunity. In Ayurveda, the concept of immunity is called beej-bhumi which means seed and land. According to this theory, our body is the land and infections are the seed. When the seed gets a fertile land, it starts sprouting or growing. In our case, if our body is filled with toxins and lacks ojas then it will be a perfect land for the disease to flourish. A strong immunity system improves your health condition and keeps diseases far away from flourishing in your body.
During this rough time, while we are at home, we need to prioritize our health with natural immunity boosters inspired by Ayurveda. Respiratory diseases can be controlled if we follow the guidelines of Ayurveda.
Here is a list of 6 immunity boosters in Ayurveda to help you and your family stay safe during this season.
How to increase immunity? Home remedies with Ayurveda
1. Natural immunity booster drinks
For those in warmer terrains or for those in cooler ones, there are two mentionable drinks that you can prepare at home to boost your immunity naturally.
- Immunity Decoction: Take 1/4th tablespoon of turmeric, 5gm of Licorice, 10gm ginger, 1 ¼ tablespoon of black pepper and mix all the ingredients into 250 ml of water and bring it into a boil. Take this concoction as a preventive measure.
- Immunity Boosting Juice: Take 50 ml of Indian gooseberry juice or Amla juice, mix it with 10 ml of ginger juice and 5ml of fresh lime juice. Add a ¼ tablespoon of turmeric into it and mix it with 200ml of water.
You can take these hot and cold beverages to boost immunity naturally at home.
2. Yoga postures that help to boost immunity
The contribution of Yoga in Ayurveda is immense. Specifically, there are 5 easy Yoga postures that you can practice at home, which will help to prevent respiratory disease and improve immunity.
- Sitting and breathing or Sukhasana and Pranayama- This simple breathing exercise will help you to relax, improve posture, shred anxiety and stress and also lower your blood pressure level. Learn it with Adriene here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLvJD7iKVhw
- Half Lord of the Fishes or Ardha Matsyendrasana- This spinal twist exercise not only helps us with spinal relief but also boost our immunity. It will help to get rid of body toxins and, therefore, improve your immune system. Learn it with Holly – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nIVfIo8sXA
- Supported Fish Pose Matsyasana Variation- It opens up the lungs and helps get rid of congestion. It is also effective to boost the energy level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgYDfwMV_w
- Forward Fold or Uttanasana- This exercise brings blood flow to our sinuses. It helps clear mucus congestion in our respiratory tract. Keep your sinus healthy to fight infection as sinus serves as the first line of defense against infection. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Uhp5tphAs
- Legs Up the Wall or Viparita Karani- A healthy nervous system help boost our immunity. You must have heard that keep calm during disease breakouts. This is because when our nervous system faces breakdown, our body becomes more receptive to diseases. This exercise helps to relax and release all the pressure from our body and thus boosts immunity to the highest level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4thkiW2uPA
3. Naturally treat sore throat and dry cough
If you have developed dry nostrils apply sesame oil, coconut oil or ghee in both the nostrils during morning and evening. In case you have developed sore throat or dry cough takes steam inhalation with fresh mint leaves or ajwain (caraway seeds). You can also take clove powder mixed with honey 2-3 times a day. This will give you instant relief from dry cough and sore throat.
4. Self Abhyangam massage
Being at home will give you more time to get into the habit of practicing self-Abhyangam every day before you take a shower. This massage is done with a medicated ayurvedic oil, but if it is not available at your home you can use other oils such as pure coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil or any other oil according to availability. Try different standard postures of practicing this massage and with moderate pressure massage your body.
This will help to nourish and replenish the skin. It also tones your muscles and calms and soothes the nervous system. It rejuvenates your body by revitalizing and energizing body cells. This massage also helps the proper functioning of internal body organs and increases the body’s capacity to remove the toxin. With the help of these natural immunity boosters, keep yourself and your family protected from vulnerable diseases.
5. Sleep well
While we sleep, our body internally works to repair cells and helps to regenerate new cells as well. If we don’t get quality sleep, it will impact our immune system to a greater extent. It is indeed essential to catch up with a good sleep routine but we should avoid oversleeping.
According to Ayurveda, a person should go to bed with the sun and rise with the sun. If that is not possible for you, make a sleep routine which helps you to sleep early and wake up early. Catch a good sleep with no intervention of other objects.
6. Mindful measures to enhance the body’s natural immunity system
These are easy to practice measures which you can include in your daily life to boost immunity from within. You should practice these measures for a lifetime to experience better immunity and thus good health.
- Whenever you feel thirsty throughout the day, drink warm water.
- While cooking include turmeric, cumin, coriander and garlic as your ingredients. These ingredients have self-healing properties and thus, boost immunity.
- As we take care of our bodies, it is equally important to take care of our minds. Meditation creates a great impact on our minds. Find out time to meditate to find solace. Meditation helps to connect our mind and soul. It can positively impact your immunity and provide a healthy nervous system.
- This is the best time to connect with your family and spend quality time. One may think, is this connected to boosting immunity naturally? Of course, interacting with your family and involving in an enjoyable activity will increase your happiness and keep stress away. This might help to lower blood pressure levels drastically.
So, here are the 6 things you MUST make the time to do as natural immunity boosters that you can practice at home. Strengthen your immune system to fight infections and diseases as you stay safe at home.