Six Steps to Naturally Improve Your Immunity
Ayurveda has a deep connection with immunity. It labels the latter as beej-bhumi, meaning seed and land. This theory compares the human body to land and infections to seeds. Just as seeds grow or sprout when provided with fertile land, the toxins and lack of Ojas in our body provide an ideal breeding ground for the flourishment of diseases. One requires a robust immunity system to prevent the emergence of illnesses.
During these rough times at home, it is essential to prioritize health through natural immunity boosters inspired by Ayurveda. Respiratory diseases can be controlled by following certain guidelines. Following is a list of 6 immunity boosters in Ayurveda to keep yourself and your family safe during this season.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies to Boost Immunity
1. Natural immunity Booster Drinks
Whether you live in a warm or cool terrain, fluids are essential to hydrating your body and keeping you energized. Given below are two mentionable drinks that you can prepare at home to boost your immunity naturally.
- Immunity Decoction:
- Combine 1/4th tablespoon of turmeric, 5gm of Licorice, 10gm ginger, and 1 ¼ tablespoon of black pepper
- Mix these into 250 ml of water and bring it into a boil
- Swallow this decoction as a preventive measure
- Immunity Boosting Juice:
- Combine 50 ml of Indian gooseberry juice or Amla juice with 10 ml of ginger juice and 5ml of fresh lime juice
- Add a ¼ tablespoon of turmeric into it and mix it with 200ml of water
- You may consume immediately or refrigerate for later
2. Immunity-boosting Yoga Postures
The contribution of Yoga to Ayurveda is immense. There are particularly five easy yoga postures that can be practiced from home to prevent respiratory diseases and boost immunity.
- Sitting and breathing or Sukhasana and Pranayama
- These are simple breathing exercises for everyone
- The help with relaxation, posture improvement, shredding anxiety and lowering stress levels
- Practice these with Adrienne here
- Half Lord of the Fishes or Ardha Matsyendrasana
- These are spinal twist exercises for everyone
- oThey enable spinal relief, higher immunity, and elimination of bodily toxins
- Learn it with Holly here
- Supported Fish Pose or Matsyasana Variation
- These stretches open up the lungs and help get rid of congestion
- These have also proven to be effective immunity boosters
- Take a look here
- Forward Fold or Uttanasana
- This exercise brings blood flow to our sinuses
- It also helps clear mucus congestion in our respiratory tract
- Keeping your sinus healthy to fight infection as sinus serves as the first line of defense against infection
- Practice the forward fold here
- Legs Up the Wall or Viparita Karani
- Our nervous system is prone to diseases during stress
- This exercise enables relaxation and releases pressure
- Moreover, it boosts immunity to its highest levels
- Practice the Asana here
3. Treating a Sore Throat or Dry Cough
- Apply ghee, sesame, or coconut oil to dry nostrils
- Inhale steam inhalation with fresh mint leaves or ajwain (caraway seeds), or with mixed clove powder and honey
4. Self Abhyangam massage
- Being at home will give you more time to practicing self-Abhyangam every day before you take a shower
- This massage is done with a medicated ayurvedic oil, but if it is not available at your home you can use other oils such as pure coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil or any other oil according to availability
- Try different standard postures of practicing this massage and with moderate pressure massage your body.
This will help to nourish and replenish the skin. It also tones your muscles and calms and soothes the nervous system. It rejuvenates your body by revitalizing and energizing body cells. This massage also helps the proper functioning of internal body organs and increases the body’s capacity to remove the toxin. With the help of these natural immunity boosters, keep yourself and your family protected from vulnerable diseases.
5. Sleep well
While we sleep, our body internally works to repair cells and helps to regenerate new cells as well. If we don’t get quality sleep, it will impact our immune system to a greater extent. It is indeed essential to catch up with a good sleep routine but we should avoid oversleeping.
According to Ayurveda, a person should go to bed with the sun and rise with the sun. If that is not possible for you, make a sleep routine which helps you to sleep early and wake up early. Catch a good sleep with no intervention of other objects.
6. Mindful measures to enhance the body’s natural immunity system
These are easy to practice measures which you can include in your daily life to boost immunity from within. You should practice these measures for a lifetime to experience better immunity and thus good health.
- Whenever you feel thirsty throughout the day, drink warm water.
- While cooking includes turmeric, cumin, coriander, and garlic as your ingredients. These ingredients have self-healing properties and thus, boost immunity.
- As we take care of our bodies, it is equally important to take care of our minds. Meditation creates a great impact on our minds. Find out time to meditate to find solace. Meditation helps to connect our mind and soul. It can positively impact your immunity and provide a healthy nervous system.
- This is the best time to connect with your family and spend quality time. One may think, is this connected to boosting immunity naturally? Of course, interacting with your family and involving in an enjoyable activity will increase your happiness and keep stress away. This might help to lower blood pressure levels drastically.
So, here are the 6 of the essential natural immunity boosters that you can practice at home. Strengthen your immune system to fight infections and diseases as you stay safe at home.