CHAPTER 17: COVID-19 and AYURVEDA
17.1 How can Ayurveda protect you against Coronavirus?
Certain Ayurvedic habits and tricks can provide innumerable protection against the virus.
17.2 Healthy Ayurvedic practises
- Shadanga paniya powder Is liquid ayurvedic medicine consisting of musta, parpat, usheer, chandan and nagar which increases immunity.
- Agastya Haritaki is an ayurvedic medicine effective for respiratory problems.
- Arsenicum album 30 is a natural medicine derived from arsenic, and is recommended to be consumed on an empty stomach as a prophylactic medicine against coronavirus.
17.3 Coronavirus Precautions
- Wash/ sanitize your hands regularly using soap or an alcohol-based sanitizer
- Distance yourself from those who are coughing or sneezing
- Avoid touching your face, particularly your eyes, nose and mouth
- Cover your nose and mouth while coughing or sneezing
- Stay home and isolate yourself, even if slight unwellness is detected
- Seek immediate medical attention in case of a fever, cough or breathing difficulty
- Follow the directions of your local health authority and medical specialists
17.4 Boost your Immunity through Ayurveda
- Amalaki or Amala (Emblica officinalis), Guduchi/Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Kutki (Picrorhiza kurroa), Tulsi (holy basil) are some of the Ayurvedic herbs that are helpful in building the immunity and preventing the infection.
- Citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, etc) are recommended as rich sources of vitamin C
- Add juice of half lemon to a cup of lukewarm water and drink 2-3 times a day
- Drinking warm water and keeping hydrated yields benefits
- Lemon tea kills the sore throat and removes the infection from the passageway.
- Ginger tea – Eases your headaches caused by the respiratory infections
- Lemon honey tea soothes your airway passage and softens your rough coughs
- Mint Tea stops the runny nose and helps in easy breathing
The detailed insights that have been attributed to Ayurveda do not stop here. They have contributed enormously to the fields of women’s health, parenting, sexual health, music, and crystals and stones as energy balancers. Finally, we move on to the concluding chapter – chapter 18 – which addresses these points.
Scroll down to ask questions relating to this chapter.